Public Safety Officer
This position represents a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and highly respected organization whose work has led to the growth of one of the most vibrant and successful areas of our City.
About Midtown Alliance:
Midtown Alliance is a nonprofit coalition of business and civic leaders focused on making improvements for a cleaner, safer, more walkable, and more interesting neighborhood, where people want to be. Our priorities include urban design; planning and executing transportation enhancements, public parks and plazas, arts and activation; a robust public safety, maintenance and beautification program; and ensuring active community engagement. Our work makes Midtown clean, safe, vibrant, and accessible. We are a member-supported non-profit organization with a 40+ year reputation for getting things done on the ground in partnership with the City of Atlanta. Midtown Alliance operates with a full-time staff of 45 and projected 2021 expenditures of $10 million.
Since 2000, Midtown Alliance has leveraged millions of dollars in public and private funding to plan, design, and construct improvements in the public realm to include sidewalks, bicycle facilities, traffic signals, and other urban infrastructure. These investments have transformed Midtown's major corridors by improving safety, access, mobility, and aesthetics - all of which reinforce the district's strong urban identity.
Midtown Alliance's supplemental public safety program - known as Midtown Blue - serves as a visible and uniformed presence in Midtown Atlanta to ensure a secure and welcoming environment for all who work in, live in and visit Midtown. Midtown Blue accomplishes this by patrolling the district on foot, bicycle and motor vehicles, as well as working in close partnership with local businesses, attractions, workers, residents, office buildings, residential properties and governmental and institutional security partners. This program, which balances law enforcement and quality of life, is regarded as one of the most complete programs of its kind in the southeast.
Midtown Blue's Public Safety Officers are the civilian security arm of the supplemental public safety program, which also employs a team of sworn Atlanta Police Department officers who work extra shifts in the district and have full arrest powers.
- Enhance security and perception of safety in Midtown.
- Provide visible uniformed presence by patrolling designated areas.
- Positively interact with Midtown stakeholders to ensure a positive, safe and welcoming environment.
- Work to proactively prevent problems before they occur.
- Promptly address and resolve quality of life and public safety issues, ranging from homeless and panhandling issues to crime prevention and special events, supporting Midtown Blue, APD and other partners as needed.
- Complete daily reports and other assignments as specified by the shift supervisor.
- Operate two-way radio.
- Stay current on City of Atlanta codes and ordinances.
- Provide customer service to citizens and visitors by answering questions and addressing complaints.
Working Hours/Special Work Conditions
Public Safety Officers are expected to work one of two shifts and operate 7 days per week, 40 hours per week;
- Day shift – 7am-3pm
- Evening shift – 3pm-11pm
- Holidays and special events are rotated throughout the year
This position is physically demanding. Public Safety Officers are required to stand for extended periods of time, walk and/or climb stairs, and patrol on a bicycle during a typical workday. Public Safety Officers are expected to be able to patrol in extremes of climate during an 8-hour workday.
- Minimum age 21 years
- Valid Georgia driver’s license
- High school diploma or GED
- Two years of college education preferred
- Stable work history
- Experience in public safety, law enforcement, private security, social services or community development preferred
- Ability to pass a physical fitness exam and test administered by a licensed physician
- Ability to walk, stand, and/or bicycle outdoors in extremes of climate throughout an eight hour shift
- Ability to work day and/or evening shifts, weekends and/or holidays
- Ability to pass a criminal background check and FBI fingerprinting
- Ability to pass a twelve-panel drug screening
- Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience to perform, with or without reasonable accommodations, the essential functions of the job.
A successful applicant will ...
- Present a positive, reassuring and highly professional image as representatives of Midtown Blue
- Be customer-service oriented and effectively engage a broad range of individuals in diverse situations
Why Midtown Alliance?
Midtown Alliance offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, plus exceptional benefits to include employer-paid medical, dental, short & long term disability as well as life insurance, generous paid leave (15 vacation, 10 sick, & 13 holidays), and a retirement plan with an employer match after one year of service.
Interested & qualified candidates should email a letter of interest and/or resume to Apply@MidtownATL.com with the subject line: Public Safety Officer.
Midtown Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and needs of the organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal or state law.