Operations Director-Midtown Green
This position represents a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and highly respected organization whose work has led to the growth of one of the most vibrant and successful areas of our City.
About Midtown Alliance:
Midtown Alliance is a nonprofit coalition of business and civic leaders focused on making improvements for a cleaner, safer, more walkable, and more interesting neighborhood, where people want to be. Our priorities include urban design; planning and executing transportation enhancements, public parks and plazas, arts and activation; a robust public safety, maintenance and beautification program; and ensuring active community engagement. Our work makes Midtown clean, safe, vibrant, and accessible. We are a member-supported non-profit organization with a 40+ year reputation for getting things done on the ground in partnership with the City of Atlanta. Midtown Alliance operates with a full-time staff of 45 and projected 2021 expenditures of $10 million.
Since 2000, Midtown Alliance has leveraged millions of dollars in public and private funding to plan, design, and construct improvements in the public realm to include sidewalks, bicycle facilities, traffic signals, and other urban infrastructure. These investments have transformed Midtown's major corridors by improving safety, access, mobility, and aesthetics - all of which reinforce the district's strong urban identity.
Midtown Alliance is seeking a highly motivated person to direct our Midtown Green maintenance and operations program. The Midtown Green Director is responsible for direction and oversight of all field and administrative tasks required to support the efficient operations of this program.
The Midtown Green program is our full-time maintenance and landscaping operation that keeps the Midtown Improvement District (MID) looking great. We are an added layer on top of the basic level of services provided by the City. We go the extra mile to keep Midtown attractive and pride ourselves on our quick responsiveness to businesses and residents.
Among our activities, we maintain small public spaces and plazas, sidewalks, medians and gateway areas; we perform basic landscaping duties in-house and contract with landscape contractors; we address ADA and safety issues along sidewalks and other public spaces; we manage public spaces; we coordinate with vendors to repair street furniture and related infrastructure; we care for 2,700+ street trees along sidewalks plus seasonal annuals; and our team reports and tracks infrastructure issues and works closely with the City to achieve resolution.
This role requires direct supervision of general maintenance and landscape responsibilities in the public right of way and in public spaces in the Midtown Improvement District. This includes but is not limited to oversight of the 12-person Green Team, supporting other departments within Midtown Alliance, managing contractors and vendors, and working with the City of Atlanta and stakeholders to achieve shared goals in Midtown.
The position reports to the Director of Public Safety and Operations. Anticipated starting salary for this position is $70K annually.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Management of the Midtown Green staff in the areas of budgeting, personnel, projects, equipment, payroll, etc.
- Contracting with and managing maintenance-related contractors and vendors (landscaping, electrical, painting, etc.)
- Program development and strategic improvement within a dynamic urban environment
- Updating and managing the Midtown Improvement District Maintenance Master Plan
- Creating and managing the budgets for Midtown Green and Landscape projects
- Oversee new landscape, streetscape, and right-of-way enhancements
- Daily field visits to evaluate projects, interact with staff and maintain high-quality work and ensure internal quality control and reporting
- Report and track public safety and right-of-way issues to City of Atlanta Public Works or appropriate departments including light outages, potholes, Watershed tracking
- Recording utility work in the right-of-way and working with City Inspectors and private contractors to ensure appropriate restoration and repair of streets and sidewalks
- Working closely with the City of Atlanta in public works, inspection, lighting and other maintenance efforts
- Working closely with Midtown Blue Public Safety officers to address shared interests
- Coordinating with Midtown Alliance departments to install streetscape and placemaking enhancements and develop and execute maintenance plans
- Engaging with property managers, property owners and other stakeholders to address concerns
- Coordinate with Atlanta Police Department Code Enforcement
- Communicate effectively with Leadership, Project Managers, staff and other stakeholders
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant managerial experience with proven leadership skills in executing programs and projects and managing teams
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Proactive manager with exceptional organization, time management, teamwork, documentation and follow-through capabilities
- Proficient with Microsoft office suite and maintaining databases to track projects
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- General knowledge of construction, landscape maintenance and municipal functions
- A passion for the work of the Midtown Alliance
- A quick learner
A successful candidate has a solid understanding of service delivery and how to manage relationships internally and externally to get projects done. A person in this role will succeed if they are focused on the details, proactive about addressing issues in the public right-of-way, and enthusiastic about Midtown Alliance’s work.
Why Midtown Alliance?
Midtown Alliance offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, plus exceptional benefits to include employer-paid medical, dental, short & long term disability as well as life insurance, generous paid leave (15 vacation, 10 sick, & 13 holidays), and a retirement plan with an employer match after one year of service.
Interested & qualified candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Apply@MidtownATL.com with the subject line: Operations Director-Midtown Green.
Midtown Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and needs of the organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal or state law.