Last Updated: 8/5/20
Midtown Atlanta Regional Activity Center - Pedestrian Mobility and Safety Improvements (Last Mile Intersections Project)
The City of Atlanta and Midtown Alliance have been awarded funding to install new traffic signals at five intersections and enhance pedestrian crossings at two other Midtown locations as identified through project scoping and the Midtown Transportation Plan. The project will enhance connectivity and safety for people accessing MARTA rail stations and regional and local bus stops. During the preliminary design phase, warrant studies were conducted for the proposed new signals, and plans were developed to restripe multiple intersections within the Midtown core between 17th Street and North Ave to increase visibility of pedestrian crossings.
- $1.4M in Federal grant funds
- $600,000 Midtown Improvement District funds
- Total funding: $2M
The Design and Engineering phase is now complete. Midtown Alliance, in partnership with the City of Atlanta, has begun the procurement process for selecting and hiring a construction firm to construct the project. Procurement is expected to be complete in 4th quarter 2020 with construction following shortly thereafter.
Construction duration is estimated at 18 to 24 months, and includes:
- Installing five (5) traffic signals at:
- Piedmont Ave. at 13th St.
- Spring St. at Peachtree Place
- Spring St. at 4th St.
- West Peachtree St. at 4th St.
- Spring St. at 3rd St.
- Installing two (2) pedestrian-actuated signals at:
- Piedmont Ave. and 15th St.
- Peachtree St, mid-block between 14th St. and 15th St. at Colony Square
- Enhancing up to 24 intersections, which may include:
- New crosswalks
- New ADA-compliant ramps
- Striping improvements