Marketing and Communications Manager
Citybuilding is a team sport that demands bold ideas and effective communication.
And Midtown Alliance has a 45-year reputation for getting important things done on the ground in one of Atlanta’s most thriving districts. We’re a coalition of visionary leaders, united in our mission to create an exceptional urban experience in the heart of our city.
Look around Midtown and you can see our work everywhere. Tree-lined sidewalks. Parks and plazas. Bike lanes. Public art. Community events. Street banners. We have a talented staff of doers, committed partners, a killer brand identity and a strong communications engine that drives interest in Midtown Atlanta as a premier urban district to live, work and visit.
We’re looking for a creative communicator to become a vital part of our team. Someone with excellent writing skills, project management savvy and a keen understanding of what works to cut through the clutter.
The job is fun and varied, and at the center of the action. The Marketing and Communications Manager is involved in everything we do -- leading integrated multimedia campaigns that drive community understanding about our work, communicating progress on improvement projects, sharing details about new investment coming to Midtown, creating Instagram stories onsite at fun events, and more.
This is a “be here” job built around experiencing and adding to Midtown’s street-level energy every day. Remote work occasions are infrequent for this role and for our entire team.
Are you a self-starter with proven experience managing public-facing messaging and audience growth for an organization or brand? Do you have a genuine passion for cities, and what it takes to create a compelling urban experience? Let’s talk.
The Marketing and Communications Manager works both independently and with others on our team to create and sustain interest in Midtown Atlanta and our work. This new position reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications. The position offers a unique opportunity to help author the next evolution of our communications platform and related programs. The role originates and distributes all types of content and messaging that broadens public understanding about the issues we follow, with key responsibilities in four areas:
1. Manage projects that build awareness about Midtown Alliance’s work.
- Provide internal marketing and communications counsel for other departments, collaborating with staff to help achieve their workplan goals.
- Write and edit stories for e-newsletters, fact sheets, web pages, backgrounders, ad campaigns, thought leadership projects and other messaging.
- Build out a network of contributing freelance writers to tap for issue-specific stories.
- Execute branded marketing collateral assignments in collaboration with our graphic and multimedia designer.
- Oversee the work of other producers in our sphere, mapping out creative direction and deliverables, timing and budget for video, photo, and signature events including the Midtown Alliance Annual Meeting, and other assignments.
- Help answer inbound questions as they come in from community members.
- Support public relations projects as needed.
- Provide communications support for Development Review Committee meetings.
2. Drive growth on our digital platform.
- Work in coordination with staff on web content management and navigation, making regular updates to our website and experimenting with new ways to present content.
- Develop social media channel and growth strategies, manage an editorial calendar, monitor, engage in comments, allocate and program a budget for promoted posts.
- Oversee development, distribution, segmentation and list growth for Midtown Alliance email marketing campaigns and departmental e-communications, including newsletters, event promotions and updates.
- Manage other emerging channels that extend the reach of our message, such as SMS text campaigns, smartphone push notifications and AI chatbots.
3. Oversee marketing initiatives that make the case for “Why Midtown Atlanta.”
- Plan and implement event promotions and campaigns that drive attendance to Midtown Alliance events, using the breadth of our communications platform.
- Grow submissions and readership on our community event calendar, branding it as the go-to source for invitations to come together in the district.
- Build our suite of economic development materials aimed at companies considering Midtown as a place to locate, expand and invest.
- Bring hospitality contacts together to create a niche for Midtown's appeal as a destination.
- Create a new line of intro materials for new workers and residents that helps them get oriented to the neighborhood and what’s here.
- Oversee content contributors to build a set of themed itineraries that combine and sequence fun activities for visitors that are unique to Midtown.
4. Compile and update market data that quantifies Midtown's many strengths, from real estate to hospitality and city brags.
- Periodically gather market metrics from local sources for a Midtown dashboard.
- Explain key findings from research projects and their meaning in the larger context of Midtown.
- Develop projects to support departmental priorities as needed.
A successful candidate is:
- A campaign thinker with excellent writing skills
- Skilled at developing creative ideas and carrying them out
- Comfortable executing quality work on deadline
- Able to pivot between working independently and collaborating with other teams
A person will succeed in this role if they are a self-starter, extroverted, curious about urban issues and possess a good sense of humor.
Essential Requirements and Skills:
- Experience in PR, corporate communications, community engagement, marketing, advertising, journalism or related fields with emphasis on breaking concepts down into clear, compelling messages that motivate target audiences to act.
- Demonstrated track record with managing the growth of digital marketing channels for clients or employers.
- A genuine interest in how people connect with their city and the importance of the urban experience.
- Systems experience with website CMS (Wordpress, Squarespace, etc); e-mail marketing platform (Mailchimp, Constant Contact, etc); content scheduling (Sprout Social); Google Analytics.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite products, including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
Nice to Have:
- Competency with composing quality photos and operating a photo or video camera
- Basic HTML and CSS
- Experience with CRM system (Salesforce)
- Working knowledge of cloud file storage platforms
- Working knowledge of project management and productivity software
This is not a remote work position, but office hours can be flexible. This is a key role that integrates with the entire team, which requires a predictable pattern of in-person support and visibility. Out-of-the-district travel is minimal. This position requires some flexibility to provide events support occasionally on nights and weekends.
Compensation and Benefits:
Midtown Alliance offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, plus exceptional benefits that include employer-paid medical, dental, short- and long-term disability, as well as life insurance, generous paid leave (15 vacation, 10 sick, and 13 holidays) and a retirement savings plan with an employer match after one year of service.
We envision a starting salary range for this position of $65-80K depending on experience.
Submit the following items combined into one PDF to Apply@MidtownATL.com with the subject line "Marketing and Communications Manager:"
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio with links to published work samples
Midtown Alliance is an equal-opportunity employer. All aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and the needs of the organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal or state law.