Capital Projects Construction Manager
Summary of this Role:
This position represents a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and highly respected organization whose work has led to the growth of one of the most vibrant and successful urban districts in the Southeast.
We work to build the kind of place where people and businesses thrive – a dense district that is at once welcoming and memorable, with unparalleled walkability, tree-lined streets and robust transportation options.
You will join the team responsible for planning and implementing a network of multi-modal transportation projects and public spaces that put people first -- providing safe, connected and high-quality facilities in our mixed-use district. Working closely with our contractors, construction managers and public sector partners, you will ensure that our projects successfully advance through construction.
If you share these ideals and are seeking a challenging and exceptionally rewarding work environment, please read on.
About Midtown Alliance:
Midtown Alliance is a coalition of business and civic leaders focused on promoting economic development by creating an exceptional urban experience in Midtown, Atlanta. Our priorities include streetscape and transportation enhancements; creating publicly accessible parks and plazas; street level arts and activation; public safety, maintenance and beautification programs; and ensuring the active engagement of our leadership and community. Midtown Alliance is a non-profit organization with a staff of 50, governed by a 10-person Executive Committee and a 68-person Board of Directors.
Since 2000, Midtown Alliance has leveraged more than $400 million in public and private funding to plan, design, and construct improvements in the public realm. To accomplish our work, we partner with the City of Atlanta, GDOT, other agencies and private development. These investments have transformed Midtown's major corridors by improving safety, access, mobility, and aesthetics - all of which reinforce the district's strong urban identity. Please visit MidtownATL.com to learn more.
Principal Responsibilities of this Role:
The Capital Projects Construction Manager is responsible for advancing high visibility, complex multi-modal projects from “shovel ready” status through construction and closeout.
This position plans and coordinates all aspects of the construction process to effectively manage the task at hand. This includes procurement, contract negotiations, agency and utility coordination, managing contractors, dispute resolution, document control, progress reporting, schedule tracking, budgeting and reimbursement requests, and collaborating with stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated knowledge of the fundamentals of project management with a particular focus on horizontal construction in a dense urban environment. If you have solid experience in vertical construction and you believe that your skills are transferrable to this role, we welcome the opportunity to explore your interest. This position reports to the Director of Capital Projects.
Essential duties and responsibilities for this position include:
- Manage scope, schedules, budgets, and deliverables for vendor and consultant contracts.
- Coordinate contractor selection process. Analyze engineer’s cost estimates and contractor proposals.
- Prepare documentation and analysis for decisions related to the award of construction and/or consultant services contracts.
- Navigate City, State and/or Federal (as applicable) procurement, permitting, reporting, financial reimbursement and project closeout processes.
- Develop project administration, correspondence and associated document control.
- Develop and implement community and stakeholder communication plans for construction projects.
- Represent our interests in project coordination meetings with the engineer, contractor and/or applicable public sector partners.
- Review and approve project invoices. Develop and ensure budgetary controls to effectively monitor progress and budget.
- Review contractor documentation related to project construction administration (RFIs, submittals, meeting records), contractor payments, change orders, construction inspections, quality controls, safety and overall contract compliance.
- Ensure a full understanding of project contract and contract documents.
Additional key attributes of a successful candidate:
- Passionate about the mission of Midtown Alliance with a genuine interest in the practices, partnerships and projects that create exceptional urban places.
- Organized, detail-oriented and dependable.
- Skilled at creating productive working relationships at all levels.
- Able to effectively communicate with diverse stakeholders and work as part of a team.
- Awareness and ability to contribute to planning, design, and implementation of projects of various scales and add value to all aspects of our work.
- Flexible and willing to lead or support a variety of projects and assignments.
- A degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Landscape Architecture, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in large construction projects in an on-site project management capacity.
- Prior experience implementing infrastructure projects for a public agency or in a dense urban area is preferred.
- Proficient in MS office.
- Experience in scheduling/management software such as Microsoft Project, Primavera P6, Procore or equivalent.
This full-time position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience plus a full benefits package.
Benefits include generous paid leave (15 vacation days to start and 13 paid holidays); employer-paid medical, dental, short- & long-term disability as well as life insurance, and a retirement savings plan with an employer match after one year of service.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest with compensation history and requirements and resume to Apply@MidtownATL.com.
Midtown Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and needs of the organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal or state law.