The Art Walk is a multi-phase public space project that reinforces Midtown’s identity as the region’s cultural and creative epicenter. Stretching 5 blocks between the Midtown MARTA Station and Arts Center MARTA Station, this pedestrian promenade straddles public space and private property to create a ½ mile experience that is equal parts enhanced streetscape and linear park. The project follows the alignment of Peachtree Walk and creates a shared street condition that expands the public realm and creates more space for art and activation. The Art Walk relies on partnerships with adjacent property owners to be implemented.
- Phase 1 – 10th to 11th Street: This phase is currently underway, managed by Midtown Alliance with construction performed by Astra Group. The project schedule estimates construction from January 2022 through the second quarter of 2023. Enhancements include new landscaping, lighting, wayfinding elements, upgraded hardscape and crosswalks that feature bands of color integrated into the design. Some existing street trees were transplanted to new homes in Midtown prior to construction, and invasive Lacebark Elm trees will be replaced with higher-quality Oak trees that are more suitable to the urban environment. There are designated locations for new art to be installed after construction is complete.
- Phase 2 – 11th to 12th Street: In 2022 and 2023 Midtown Alliance will advance this phase from initial concept into design development and construction documents.
- Phase 3 – 12th to 13th Street: This phase has been partially completed along the west side of the corridor. The enhanced streetscape elements were installed in 2021 as part of Selig’s mixed-use project known as 1105 West Peachtree. The east side of the street will be considered as part of a future phase of development planned for this block.
- Phase 4 – 13th to 14th Street: This phase consists of a dedicated pedestrian connection along the west side of the dual-brand AC/Moxy Hotels. Completed in 2019 in partnership with Noble Investment Group as part of the hotel development, the pedestrian connection features a mural by Daniel Monteavaro.
- Phase 5 – 14th to 15th Street: Future phase to be implemented upon redevelopment of the private site. This segment, like the phase between 13th and 14th Street, will create a pedestrian connection through the site to provide access to the Arts Center MARTA Station one block north.
For Phase 1 construction updates please visit our Under Construction page, here.