Commercial Row Commons
Project Concept Rendering:
Development of Commercial Row Commons will better organize the public space along this popular destination and high traffic corridor at the heart of the Midtown district. Improvements will focus on public right-of-way along Peachtree Place between Peachtree Street and Crescent Ave. In the past, tables and chairs on the sidewalk serving Commercial Row’s restaurants have impeded the flow of pedestrian traffic through this important access corridor to the Midtown MARTA Station. Creation of the plaza will provide both an unobstructed pathway for pedestrians, as well as a dedicated and relaxed space to enjoy. Furthermore, this plaza provides greater opportunity to celebrate the unique historic and cultural identity of the landmark Commercial Row buildings.
Midtown Alliance, with the City of Atlanta’s Department of City Planning and Community Development, and community stakeholders, developed the concept design for Commercial Row Commons. Midtown Alliance subsequently held several public meetings to display multiple concepts and solicit community input on design and enhancements. After extensive community engagement, Midtown Alliance has developed plans for this block that include the following:
- Landscaping enhancements including a new, planted median
- Improved alignment of Peachtree Street and Peachtree Place intersection
- Removal of on-street parking spaces on north and south side of block
- Widened sidewalk on south side of Peachtree Place and burial of overhead utilities
- New and improved sidewalks and curb ramps
- Enhanced pedestrian lighting
- Plaza art elements
- Milling, repaving, and restriping of Peachtree Pl from Crescent Ave to Peachtree St
- Relocated traffic signal cabinet
- Maintain two-way vehicle traffic
$1,265,000 in MID funds for Design and Construction.
For construction updates please visit our Under Construction page, here.