Capital Projects Construction Manager
Summary of this Role:
This position represents a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and highly respected organization whose work has led to the growth of one of the most vibrant and successful urban districts in the Southeast.
We work to build the kind of place where people and businesses thrive – a dense district that is at once welcoming and memorable, with unparalleled walkability, tree-lined streets and robust transportation options.
You will join the team responsible for planning and implementing a network of multi-modal transportation projects and public spaces that put people first -- providing safe, connected and high-quality facilities in our mixed-use district. Working closely with our contractors, construction managers and public sector partners, you will ensure that our projects successfully advance through construction.
If you share these ideals and are seeking a challenging and exceptionally rewarding work environment, please read on.
About Midtown Alliance:
Midtown Alliance is a coalition of business and civic leaders focused on promoting economic development by creating an exceptional urban experience in Midtown, Atlanta. Our priorities include streetscape and transportation enhancements; creating publicly accessible parks and plazas; street level arts and activation; public safety, maintenance and beautification programs; and ensuring the active engagement of our leadership and community. Midtown Alliance is a non-profit organization with a staff of 50, governed by a 10-person Executive Committee and a 68-person Board of Directors.
Since 2000, Midtown Alliance has leveraged more than $400 million in public and private funding to plan, design, and construct improvements in the public realm. To accomplish our work, we partner with the City of Atlanta, GDOT, other agencies and private development. These investments have transformed Midtown's major corridors by improving safety, access, mobility, and aesthetics - all of which reinforce the district's strong urban identity. Please visit MidtownATL.com to learn more.
Principal Responsibilities of this Role:
The Capital Projects Construction Manager is responsible for advancing high visibility, complex multi-modal projects from “shovel ready” status through construction and closeout.
This position plans and coordinates all aspects of the construction process to effectively manage the task at hand. This includes procurement, contract negotiations, agency and utility coordination, managing contractors, dispute resolution, document control, progress reporting, schedule tracking, budgeting and reimbursement requests, and collaborating with stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated knowledge of the fundamentals of project management with a particular focus on horizontal construction in a dense urban environment. If you have solid experience in vertical construction and you believe that your skills are transferrable to this role, we welcome the opportunity to explore your interest. This position reports to the Director of Capital Projects.
Essential duties and responsibilities for this position include:
- Manage scope, schedules, budgets, and deliverables for vendor and consultant contracts.
- Coordinate contractor selection process. Analyze engineer’s cost estimates and contractor proposals.
- Prepare documentation and analysis for decisions related to the award of construction and/or consultant services contracts.
- Navigate City, State and/or Federal (as applicable) procurement, permitting, reporting, financial reimbursement and project closeout processes.
- Develop project administration, correspondence and associated document control.
- Develop and implement community and stakeholder communication plans for construction projects.
- Represent our interests in project coordination meetings with the engineer, contractor and/or applicable public sector partners.
- Review and approve project invoices. Develop and ensure budgetary controls to effectively monitor progress and budget.
- Review contractor documentation related to project construction administration (RFIs, submittals, meeting records), contractor payments, change orders, construction inspections, quality controls, safety and overall contract compliance.
- Ensure a full understanding of project contract and contract documents.
Additional key attributes of a successful candidate:
- Passionate about the mission of Midtown Alliance with a genuine interest in the practices, partnerships and projects that create exceptional urban places.
- Organized, detail-oriented and dependable.
- Skilled at creating productive working relationships at all levels.
- Able to effectively communicate with diverse stakeholders and work as part of a team.
- Awareness and ability to contribute to planning, design, and implementation of projects of various scales and add value to all aspects of our work.
- Flexible and willing to lead or support a variety of projects and assignments.
- A degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Landscape Architecture, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in large construction projects in an on-site project management capacity.
- Prior experience implementing infrastructure projects for a public agency or in a dense urban area is preferred.
- Proficient in MS office.
- Experience in scheduling/management software such as Microsoft Project, Primavera P6, Procore or equivalent.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a new, full-time position at our organization. We anticipate reviewing candidates with a variety of experience levels for this position and we’ll negotiate a fair compensation level when we identify a strong and mutual fit for this role. We’re eager to hear your salary requirements and encourage you to share them in your application materials.
Staff receive generous paid leave of 15 vacation days with an additional day earned annually (up to 20 days). We close our office for 11 calendared holidays and offer an additional 2 floating holidays for staff to use at any time. At year end, staff are given the opportunity to work remotely to allow for easy travel and more time with their family.
Midtown Alliance provides full employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, with the opportunity to add subsidized coverage for family members as well as utilize a flexible spending account to support you or your family's health and childcare needs. Midtown Alliance also offers employer-paid short- & long-term disability as well as life insurance. Finally, we offer a 403(b) retirement savings plan with an employer match of 5% of gross pay after one year with the organization.
While we expect our team to primarily work at our office location in Midtown, we offer flexibility with scheduling and are a nimble organization. Our team prioritizes work-life balance, recognizing that life does not revolve around someone's 9-5 (or 8-4 or 10-6). Our recently redesigned office space includes beautiful views of Midtown, modern art installations from artists in the community, updated technology, and a zen room for when you need a little escape. Staff are encouraged to work at and explore other parts of Midtown as well whether that's a local coffee shop, museum, or a member facility. Staff are also encouraged to utilize Midtown Alliance's travel benefits including a $50 subsidy and pre-tax payroll deductions to order MARTA, Xpress, Cobblinc, or Ride Gwinnett monthly passes. Staff receive Midtown member benefits including specials and discounts at area shops, restaurants, theatres and more.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their resume and a letter of interest (including their compensation requirements) via email with the subject line "Capital Projects Manager - YOUR NAME" to Apply@MidtownATL.com.
Midtown Alliance is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment. All aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and needs of the organization. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Midtown Alliance does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal or state law.