Public Safety: Midtown Blue
The Midtown Blue public safety force acts as the “eyes and ears” of the Midtown community 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Our public safety strategy includes patrolling, monitoring, education, collaboration and enforcement to protect and serve all who live in, work in, and visit the Midtown Improvement District. This adds up to one of the most robust public safety programs of its kind in the U.S.
The goals of our public safety program are three-fold:
- reduce crime
- ensure that people feel safe and secure
- respond quickly to traffic and other incidents
Remember, in an emergency, always call 911 first. Then call Midtown Blue at 404-817-0500.
You can speak directly with an officer to:
- Report suspicious activity or discuss any safety and security issues or concerns you might have
- Find out about public safety training classes or get safety tips
Midtown Blue is here to serve our community.
Midtown Blue's team of more than 40 off-duty Atlanta Police Department (APD) officers provides 'round the clock coverage, augmenting APD’s on-duty patrols and working exclusively in the public right of ways of the Midtown Improvement District. For extra support and street patrol presence, we also launched the Midtown Blue Public Safety Patrol.
Off-Duty APD: sworn officer with full arrest authority, patrolling in Midtown Blue marked vehicles and on foot.
Public Safety Patrol: civilian security professional, patrolling on foot, Segway and bicycle.
700 Hours of Combined Patrols Each Week in the Midtown District
Services we provide:
- Immediate response to emergency situations, supplementing APD
- Regular patrols in highly-visible Midtown Blue vehicles, averaging more than 2.5 officers per shift – 24/7, 365 days a year
- A 24-hour joint operations center with APD Zone 5 as part of Midtown Blue’s offices, enabling seamless coordination
- Maintaining and monitoring the region’s most extensive network of high-definition video cameras, which cover nearly 90% of the public right-of-way
- An array of crime-prevention and public safety programs and classes offered to Midtown property owners, property managers, businesses, office workers and residents
Midtown Blue has operated on the ground every day for more than a decade. And in that time, the Midtown district has registered consistent decreases in crime, making it one of the safest communities in metro Atlanta. Crime incidents within the district declined 8% in 2015 compared to 2014. In 2017, 94% of the crime in the Midtown Improvement District was non-violent property crime.
Our team also holds quarterly public safety meetings for our MID public safety partners representing: APD, MARTA, Georgia Tech, SCAD, Emory, the Federal Reserve, commercial and residential property owners, private security and others. These meetings provide useful information that keeps lines of communication open between law enforcement, private security and commercial property managers.
Schedule a Public Safety Class
Midtown Blue provided more than 80 public safety classes to Midtown employers, workers and residents, and provides free public awareness materials. Contact us to schedule one today.
Eyes on the Street
Midtown Blue’s public safety officers monitor in real time the region’s most extensive network of high-definition video cameras, covering 90% of the public right-of-ways. See a map of our camera locations.