More Stories About
Midtown Green Team Pivots to Leaf Removal Detail for Autumn
Bright fall colors are a signal to our Midtown Green team that fall leaf pickup duties are imminent. Keeping streets and sidewalks clear of leaves is more than an aesthetic issue. It's also about preventing people from slipping and falling, and keeping storm drains clear.
Untangling Homelessness: Midtown Blue and PAD Partnership Accelerates Supportive Housing Efforts
It takes teamwork and coordination to solve an issue as complex as homelessness. And through a strengthened partnership, Midtown Blue and the Atlanta Policing Alternatives and Diversion Initiative (PAD) have helped 18 unsheltered people in the district this year — more than either organization would be able to accomplish on its own.
JPX Works Showcases New 31-Story Residential Tower
RJTR architects presented plans for JPX’s residential concept on the southeast corner of 18th Street and Spring St. The 31-story building has 325 residential units at 300,400 square feet with lobby and leasing at the ground floor. Read the Midtown Development Review Committee's recommendations for the project here.
Updated Proposals Include Phased Mixed-Use and Office Towers
Toll Brothers returned to the Development Review Committee this month to present updates to its 1018 West Peachtree Project, and Portman Holdings presented the its latest plans for 1020 Spring Street, the H.M. Patterson & Son-Spring Hill Chapel site. Read the DRC's recommendations for both here.
Two Projects Make Return Visits with Updated Designs
During a virtual Midtown Development Review Committee meeting on April 13, Toll Brothers presented an updated application for its project at 1018 West Peachtree Street, and Middle Street Partners returned with updates for its dual-tower project at 1081 Juniper Street.
15th Street Extension Project Awarded $2M in Additional Federal Grants
The Atlanta Regional Commission announced that the planned extension of 15th Street was recently awarded a $2 million grant from the Federal Highway Administration. The extension, which will be built between 15th Street's current end point at West Peachtree Street and Williams Street, will help complete the district's street grid.
Piedmont Park Operations Team Maintains Tranquil Space During Pandemic
During a typical year, Piedmont Park regularly welcomes festivals, cultural and sporting events nearly every weekend. The pandemic brought a temporary pause to these large gatherings, but Atlantans have found they need the park’s wide open spaces more than ever — for exercise, for fresh air and for their mental health.
Interface Reconfigures its HQ to Create Safer Post-Pandemic Space
Flooring manufacturer Interface Inc. plans to bring its metro Atlanta employees back to its Midtown headquarters — but not before giving thought to every detail about how its office operates and making changes as needed to keep its employees safe.
Arts District Plaza Construction Kicks Off Next Month
The updates to Arts District Plaza include new lighting, seating and landscaping on the Southeast and Southwest corners of the intersection. The centerpiece of the plaza will be Dorothy Berge’s 1968 sculpture, Sabine Woman, which is making a triumphant return to Midtown after spending some time away from the spotlight.
Lord Aeck Sargent Presents Renovation Project for 1280 West Peachtree
The DRC concluded 2020 with a presentation by Lord Aeck Sargent on proposed improvements to 1280 West, a 40-story condo tower on 16th Street between West Peachtree and Spring Street. The Homeowner’s Association seeks to update the post-modern building with an exterior “refresh” that includes modifying the building façades and roofing to accentuate the verticality of the tower and to address deferred maintenance items.
DRC Proposals Include Adaptive Reuse Restaurant Project, 31-Story Student Housing Tower
The Midtown Development Review Committee (DRC) met Nov. 10 to review two proposals, one that would bring a new restaurant and outdoor dining and another for a new 31-story mixed-use student housing tower. Read details about each project and see the DRC’s recommendations here.
Capital City Real Estate Presents Plans for 24-Story Tower on Peachtree
Known as The Rhapsody, this high-end residential building has 270 apartments and 55 condominiums with separate lobbies accessed from Peachtree Street. See what the Midtown Development Review Committee thought of this new proposal here.
Many Groups Working to Untangle Homelessness During the Pandemic
We spoke to homeless outreach organizations with active street teams serving the Midtown area – and across the city – to ask how they’ve adjusted their field work in the middle of a global health crisis, what services they’re currently offering and how you can help support their efforts.
Love Local: Reach for Your 2022 Fitness Goals at Stone Summit Midtown
Lots of people go into the New Year with fitness-related resolutions, but find themselves burning out by February. You won’t find any boring gym routines at Stone Summit Midtown, a bouldering gym located on the lower level of the 715 Peachtree building.
Meet Muralist and Painter Patricia Hernandez
Hernandez is one of six artists to receive studio space for a year through the Heart of the Arts program, created through innovative partnerships between Midtown Alliance and commercial property owners. Her space at the historic Crum and Forster building, now part of Coda Tech Square, is provided by Portman Holdings.
In the News
- January 2022
- December 2021
- Microsoft brought 1,500 jobs to Atlanta. A wave of tech investments followed.Biz Chronicle | Dec 26, 2021Amid a surge of new Atlanta hotel openings, signs of recovery emerge in the lodging sectorBiz Chronicle | Dec 17, 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- Midtown on the Rise: The cranes are flying as high-rise projects proliferateAtlanta Intown | Oct 22, 2021
- September 2021
- Images: Next to Fox Theatre, curtain's about to rise on new Midtown hotelsUrbanize ATL | Sep 29, 2021Committee for a Better Atlanta releases scorecard for November electionSaporta Report | Sep 21, 2021
- August 2021
- Atlanta solar energy startup Cherry Street Energy receives $50M investmentBiz Chronicle | Aug 23, 2021Atlanta solar energy startup Cherry Street Energy receives $50M investmentBiz Chronicle | Aug 23, 2021Land Development Application Filed for 29-Story Multifamily High-Rise in MidtownWhat Now ATL | Aug 13, 2021New Details Emerge for Society Atlanta, the 33-Story Mixed-Use Tower Planned for MidtownWhat Now ATL | Aug 11, 2021Selig Enterprises assembles possible development sites around Midtown Google-anchored towerBiz Chronicle | Aug 9, 2021
- July 2021
- Georgia Tech a big contributor to Atlanta's high growth of tech graduates, report showsBiz Chronicle | Jul 20, 2021Student housing developer secures construction financing for 31-story Midtown towerBiz Chronicle | Jul 8, 2021Tech boom, rising apartment rents, reshape plans for Midtown office projectBiz Chronicle | Jul 6, 2021
- June 2021
- Inaugural class unveiled for Midtown Heart of the Arts residency programAtlanta Intown | Jun 30, 2021Texas company buys Midtown high-rise site for $19M, secures $92M construction loanUrbanize ATL | Jun 8, 2021Texas company buys Midtown high-rise site for $19M, secures $92M construction loanBiz Chronicle | Jun 8, 2021
- May 2021
- Emory’s new pedestrian bridge in Midtown seeks to merge aesthetics, purposeSaporta Report | May 25, 2021
- April 2021
- SCAD Atlanta to expand Midtown campus with new residence hall, auditoriumBiz Chronicle | Apr 27, 2021With new public plazas, office workers set to return to a greener MidtownBiz Chronicle | Apr 5, 2021
- March 2021
- It’s official: Early 1900s home will be reborn as restaurant in heart of MidtownUrbanize ATL | Mar 29, 2021Circa 730 Gains a Coffee Shop, Tapas Bar With The Opening of El Viñedo LocalWhat Now Atlanta | Mar 22, 2021Google: 'Thousands' of new roles coming to Atlanta, other cities as part of $7 billion expansionBiz Chronicle | Mar 18, 2021With Optimism Rising, Another Look at Second Responders Helping Atlanta RecoverSaporta Report | Mar 16, 2021$100 Lobster Rolls and $10 Ice Cream Sandwiches are Coming to MidtownTomorrow's News Today ATL | Mar 8, 2021Middle Street Partners Plans 470 Units, Dual Skyscrapers At Site Of Joe’s On Juniper, Einstein’sWhat Now Atlanta | Mar 4, 2021
- February 2021
- Midtown Connector would cap 10 blocks of interstate with park, reconnect streetsAtlanta Intown | Feb 23, 2021Gov. Brian Kemp, AMayor Keisha Lance Bottoms and Microsoft leaders discuss Microsoft’s expansion in AtlantaMicrosoft | Feb 11, 2021More Permits Filed For Woodfield Development’s 284-Unit SoNo High-RiseWhat Now Atlanta | Feb 10, 2021How a Georgia Tech hotel's struggles mirror the strained hospitality sectorBiz Chronicle | Feb 8, 2021MARTA upgrades rail; riders may return as offices reopen as pandemic fadesSaporta Report | Feb 6, 2021Behold Google's future views from atop Midtown's forthcoming three-tower projectUrbanize ATL | Feb 4, 2021