More Stories About
May DRC Recap: Committee Greenlights Two Mixed-Use Projects
Two mixed-use projects were presented at the May 10 meeting of the Midtown Development Review Committee (DRC). The first was an application from Dewberry for 1155 Peachtree Street, or the Campanile builiding, and the second was an application from Selig with updated plans for their proposed "Midtown Exchange" project. See the DRC's recommendations for both projects here.
Selig Premieres New Dual Tower Project Called Midtown Exchange
The Midtown Development Review Committee (DRC) meeting on April 12 featured a new mixed-use project on the block bounded by 12th Street, Peachtree Walk and 13th Street. See the DRC's recommendations for the Selig's Midtown Exchange here.
Midtown Alliance Annual Meeting Keynote Speaker: What’s Next for Public Life
We asked the Midtown Alliance’s 2022 Annual Meeting's keynote speaker what’s next for cities as we look to move beyond a period of isolation and disruption. Get his take on how our urban experience will change in our fresh Q+A below.
Heart of the Arts: Meet Interdisciplinary Artist Dr. Bojana Ginn
For the past two years and counting, the pandemic has forced us to reframe how we report to work, socialize with others and spend time inside our own homes. We’ve all looked for ways to process this global shift in perspective. Dr. Bojana Ginn chooses to examine it through an artistic lens.
Using Existing Zoning Developments to Reduce Vehicle Traffic
Several partner organizations have been hard at work to create a new tool that brings transportation and land use closer together in the planning and design process. It carries the potential to improve the way people get around Midtown as the district continues to grow.
DRC Closes Out 2021 With One New, Two Returning Projects
The Midtown Development Review Committee (DRC) met online on December 14 to review three significant projects: (1) 887 West Peachtree Street, a 26-story office tower with a linear greenspace by Cousins Properties; (2) a 30-story office tower called “Stratus Midtown,” located at 80 Peachtree Place by Trammell Crow; and (3) the Rockefeller Group‘s 61-story mixed-use tower at 1072 West Peachtree Street.
Midtown Green Team Pivots to Leaf Removal Detail for Autumn
Bright fall colors are a signal to our Midtown Green team that fall leaf pickup duties are imminent. Keeping streets and sidewalks clear of leaves is more than an aesthetic issue. It's also about preventing people from slipping and falling, and keeping storm drains clear.
Untangling Homelessness: Midtown Blue and PAD Partnership Accelerates Supportive Housing Efforts
It takes teamwork and coordination to solve an issue as complex as homelessness. And through a strengthened partnership, Midtown Blue and the Atlanta Policing Alternatives and Diversion Initiative (PAD) have helped 18 unsheltered people in the district this year — more than either organization would be able to accomplish on its own.
JPX Works Showcases New 31-Story Residential Tower
RJTR architects presented plans for JPX’s residential concept on the southeast corner of 18th Street and Spring St. The 31-story building has 325 residential units at 300,400 square feet with lobby and leasing at the ground floor. Read the Midtown Development Review Committee's recommendations for the project here.
Updated Proposals Include Phased Mixed-Use and Office Towers
Toll Brothers returned to the Development Review Committee this month to present updates to its 1018 West Peachtree Project, and Portman Holdings presented the its latest plans for 1020 Spring Street, the H.M. Patterson & Son-Spring Hill Chapel site. Read the DRC's recommendations for both here.
Two Projects Make Return Visits with Updated Designs
During a virtual Midtown Development Review Committee meeting on April 13, Toll Brothers presented an updated application for its project at 1018 West Peachtree Street, and Middle Street Partners returned with updates for its dual-tower project at 1081 Juniper Street.
15th Street Extension Project Awarded $2M in Additional Federal Grants
The Atlanta Regional Commission announced that the planned extension of 15th Street was recently awarded a $2 million grant from the Federal Highway Administration. The extension, which will be built between 15th Street's current end point at West Peachtree Street and Williams Street, will help complete the district's street grid.
Piedmont Park Operations Team Maintains Tranquil Space During Pandemic
During a typical year, Piedmont Park regularly welcomes festivals, cultural and sporting events nearly every weekend. The pandemic brought a temporary pause to these large gatherings, but Atlantans have found they need the park’s wide open spaces more than ever — for exercise, for fresh air and for their mental health.
Interface Reconfigures its HQ to Create Safer Post-Pandemic Space
Flooring manufacturer Interface Inc. plans to bring its metro Atlanta employees back to its Midtown headquarters — but not before giving thought to every detail about how its office operates and making changes as needed to keep its employees safe.
Arts District Plaza Construction Kicks Off Next Month
The updates to Arts District Plaza include new lighting, seating and landscaping on the Southeast and Southwest corners of the intersection. The centerpiece of the plaza will be Dorothy Berge’s 1968 sculpture, Sabine Woman, which is making a triumphant return to Midtown after spending some time away from the spotlight.
In the News
- May 2022
- March 2022
- Two Atlanta hotel markets poised for 'full recovery' as construction continues upswingBiz Chronicle | Mar 21, 2022
- February 2022
- James Beard Foundation Award semifinalists include Atlanta chefs, restaurantsAtlanta Intown | Feb 23, 2022Kimpton's next hotel will be a part of Midtown Union mixed-use developmentBiz Chronicle | Feb 14, 2022Midtown Alliance Annual Meeting Speaker: Cities Have Creative OpportunitiesBiz Chronicle | Feb 4, 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- Microsoft brought 1,500 jobs to Atlanta. A wave of tech investments followed.Biz Chronicle | Dec 26, 2021Amid a surge of new Atlanta hotel openings, signs of recovery emerge in the lodging sectorBiz Chronicle | Dec 17, 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- Midtown on the Rise: The cranes are flying as high-rise projects proliferateAtlanta Intown | Oct 22, 2021
- September 2021
- Images: Next to Fox Theatre, curtain's about to rise on new Midtown hotelsUrbanize ATL | Sep 29, 2021Committee for a Better Atlanta releases scorecard for November electionSaporta Report | Sep 21, 2021
- August 2021
- Atlanta solar energy startup Cherry Street Energy receives $50M investmentBiz Chronicle | Aug 23, 2021Atlanta solar energy startup Cherry Street Energy receives $50M investmentBiz Chronicle | Aug 23, 2021Land Development Application Filed for 29-Story Multifamily High-Rise in MidtownWhat Now ATL | Aug 13, 2021New Details Emerge for Society Atlanta, the 33-Story Mixed-Use Tower Planned for MidtownWhat Now ATL | Aug 11, 2021Selig Enterprises assembles possible development sites around Midtown Google-anchored towerBiz Chronicle | Aug 9, 2021
- July 2021
- Georgia Tech a big contributor to Atlanta's high growth of tech graduates, report showsBiz Chronicle | Jul 20, 2021Student housing developer secures construction financing for 31-story Midtown towerBiz Chronicle | Jul 8, 2021Tech boom, rising apartment rents, reshape plans for Midtown office projectBiz Chronicle | Jul 6, 2021