More Stories About
June 2020 DRC Recap: Cousins, Portman Present Updates for Tower Projects
The Midtown Development Review Committee hosted their second virtual meeting on June 9 and saw follow-up presentations from two projects, which combined will bring more than a million square feet of new office space to Midtown.
Getting Tested for COVID-19: Why You Should Do It, and What to Expect
The Georgia Department of Public Health is now encouraging everyone to get tested in order to assess the scope and breadth of the pandemic’s reach. There are numerous locations available to get tested in and around Midtown, with or without symptoms.
May DRC Recap: Portman Presents Plans for Historic Funeral Home
Portman on May 12 presented plans for the site of the historic H.M. Patterson & Son-Spring Hill Chapel building. The funeral chapel building will serve as the centerpiece for a mixed-use project with a hotel, office, retail and residential space.
With City Under Lockdown, Crime in Midtown Drops Significantly
Without question, the circumstances are unique. But a recent snapshot shows how crime is shifting. Part 1 Crimes in the Midtown Improvement District are down 14 percent this year compared to the same point in time in 2019, according to statistics from APD.
Midtown Restaurants Adjust to New Requirements During COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic is changing the way all companies do business, at least temporarily, but the restaurant industry is likely making the hardest adjustments of all in order to flatten the curve and keep their staff and customers safe.
Midtown Transportation Reaches Over 100k Transit Passes Sold Last Year
While the Transit Pass Program has seen steady growth since its inception, the recent milestone of over 100,000 transit passes sold in 2019, an increase of 16% from 2018, marks an exciting moment in Midtown’s growth and its commitment to transit.
Hanover Presents Plans For 40-Story Mixed-Use Tower
The Midtown Development Review Committee finished out the year with presentations for three new projects, ranging from a modest addition to SCAD’s Digital Media Center, a new 20-story student housing project and a new 40-story mixed-use tower near the Arts Center MARTA Station.
Untangling Homelessness in Midtown
In Atlanta, the work to combat homelessness is spread across many different groups, from the faith community to public safety officers and business leaders. We spoke with several experts on the ground working to solve this citywide issue to find out what they're doing, how it's going and what's next.
Midtown Alliance’s Tree Program Helps Keep Over 2,500 Trees Healthy
From Oaks to Elms and Cypresses, Midtown’s lush canopy of trees is an integral part of the district’s walkable environment. But many residents, workers, and visitors in the district don’t know there is a team of caretakers who maintain it.
Curb enforcement program aims to cut down on parking violations
As a result of the district’s growth as a thriving business hub and preferred living destination, Peachtree has experienced an uptick in vehicles stopping illegally at the curb. Midtown Blue and APD are now working to issue warnings and citations.
Restaurant Roundup: 2019 Openings Diversify Midtown’s Dining Scene
Midtown is already one of the city’s top dining destinations, with 150+ restaurants located within 1.2 square miles. Check out our list of the new food and beverage spots that will be popping up around the district in the coming months.
Celebrating 40 Years of Transformation, Midtown Alliance Annual Meeting Looks Onward
Some 1,000 Midtown community members attended the event, which featured insight from Atlanta’s mayor, Midtown’s newest corporate neighbor and a thought leader changing the way cities think about and use one of their most vital assets.
In the News
- August 2020
- July 2020
- Rockefeller Group pays near record price for one of Midtown's prime high-rise development sitesBiz Chronicle | Jul 28, 2020Resilience During the Pandemic: The Center for Puppetry Arts Continues Its Storytelling MagicSaporta Report | Jul 20, 2020StreetLights Names Midtown Tower Adjacent St. Mark United Methodist ‘The Hadley,’ Breaks GroundWhat Now Atlanta | Jul 15, 2020Rockefeller Group, Selig Enterprises form joint venture on Midtown luxury condo towerBiz Chronicle | Jul 15, 2020Midtown's Complete Streets effort among three projects in metro Atlanta to receive state fundingSaporta Report | Jul 11, 2020
- June 2020
- AT&T selling CNN Center, eventually relocating CNN to Ted Turner Campus in MidtownAJC | Jun 29, 2020Law firm signs major lease at Bank of America Plaza, continues area’s momentumBiz Chronicle | Jun 15, 2020Board promotes managing director to lead Center for Puppetry Arts, which nears reopeningBiz Chronicle | Jun 8, 2020
- May 2020
- Colony Square Installing UVC Lighting In Offices To ‘Purify and Destroy Airborne Bio-Contaminants’What Now Atlanta | May 4, 2020Tech companies still poised for expansion in Midtown, filling up new office spaceBiz Chronicle | May 1, 2020
- April 2020
- Georgia Tech alum plays role in bringing free COVID-19 testing to universityBiz Chronicle | Apr 13, 2020
- March 2020
- Applause erupts from Midtown balconies every night as a 'thank you' to healthcare workers, first responders11 Alive | Mar 22, 2020Local theater’s costume department shifts gears to make face masks for hospitalsWSB-TV | Mar 22, 2020New 33-story Midtown project secures over $100M in construction financingBiz Chronicle | Mar 16, 2020How a new $50M residential project fits on a rapidly developing block in MidtownBiz Chronicle | Mar 10, 2020How a 34-story tower will transform Midtown HQ of Big Brothers, Big SistersBiz Chronicle | Mar 6, 2020
- February 2020
- Georgia Tech alum pledges $18M, new Tech Square tower to be named for himBiz Chronicle | Feb 10, 2020
- January 2020
- Biz Chronicle: Commercial Real Estate Activity in Midtown Highest in DecadesBiz Chronicle | Jan 31, 2020
- December 2019
- Portman buys landmark Midtown funeral home, will develop property with multiple towersBiz Chronicle | Dec 23, 2019
- November 2019
- Microsoft moving new jobs into Midtown as larger potential expansion loomsBiz Chronicle | Nov 27, 2019
- October 2019
- Developers announce hotel flag for Midtown’s block-swallowing 1105 West PeachtreeCurbed | Oct 25, 2019State of Georgia OK's Emory University Hospital Midtown's $469M cancer towerBiz Chronicle | Oct 15, 2019
- September 2019